After 16 months without a collective agreement, the members of the Syndicat des étudiants et étudiantes employé-e-s de la Fondation de l’UQAM (SÉTUE Unit 3) have managed to obtain a tentative agreement with no concessions.
PSAC-Quebec would like to congratulate and thank the members of the bargaining team and SÉTUE staff members for their mobilization and hard work throughout the process. The ratification vote takes place on December 9 and the bargaining team unanimously recommends acceptance of the agreement. Its ratification will ensure numerous improvements to working conditions.
This period saw the simultaneous mobilization of their colleagues in SÉTUE Unit 1; this time, to vote in favour of a strike mandate, set to begin on December 11. Stay tuned for more information on the strike action. In the meantime, we encourage all members of the various SÉTUE units to combine forces to put pressure on the employer.
Highlights of the tentative agreement
- Gender-neutral language
- The employer to provide the union with better lists of student employees
- Improved article on discrimination
- Maximum average hours of work per week increased from 15 to 20 hours
- New meal break provisions
- New provisions for family leave, sexual violence leave, organ donor leave and sick leave
- Increased remuneration for family leave, sexual violence leave, organ donor leave and sick leave
- Updated maternity, paternity and parental leaves to comply with legislation
- New article to enshrine professional relations committees and their mandate and meeting frequency in the collective agreement
- Removal of the list of grievance arbitrators from the collective agreement
- Four-year collective agreement
- 2% increase in vacation pay, from 6% to 8%
- 0.4% increase in statutory holiday pay, from 3.6% to 4%
- Salary increase of 7.5% over 4 years, including 1.5% on the last day of the collective agreement
- Payment of a lump sum equivalent to 2% of the salary earned by student employees in 2020. (Some have already received it and the employer undertakes to pay this amount to all student employees present in 2020.)
- Retroactive pay to September 1, 2021 for student employees working in a position as of that date.